Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Plex for Music: Ratings Workarounds

 

Plex is a great personal streaming service when you use plexamp. Especially if you are using lossless flacs, it can easily replace spotify. However, you soon realize that plex has been created with movies and not music in the minds. I played around with plex in recent months and like to share my experiences with plex and some third party tools or workarounds which can be a great help to improve listening experience even further. 
 
 A word concerning my setup: I use plex on a Synology Nas with an ARM-Processor, so no Docker Installation, no Supersonic functionality on plexamp. At home, I use a Windows Machine to access the plex installation via web. Same applies when using an ipad, either I listen to music, then I use plexamp or I fiddle around, then I access via web. The Ios app of plex just works fine for playing movies (which I don't use much). 


Ratings

How to Save Ratings in id3tags
Plex offers a great way to rate your tracks, for example on the way by using plexamp. The ratings are saved in the database though and not in the id3-tags of the files. You could change that by syncing playlists with your current ratings in plex with your file system, the process is described in my post on playlists. 

How to assign Ratings in a playlist-collection
Say you have a playlist and you want to mass tag all tracks with the same rating. Plex doesn't allow assigning properties like song ratings in a playlist. The workaround is to transform the playlist into a collection. I have described the process in my post on collections. UPDATE: You can also use a python script specifically written for that usecase which can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment